Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I will never get tired. . .smoking

People who smoke have a difficult existence - you cannot say that they really live as their life is controlled by their addiction and their need to feed that addiction. Let's have a look at what a smoker like me has to put up with. I scanned a couple of articles in Google that After a night's sleep of around 6-8 hours, the nicotine levels in the blood are reduced to nothing - so the smoker will have some topping up to do. The smoker will need to have their first cigarette of the day soon after waking, their second some 30 minutes later and their third within an hour - three cigarettes to just get the day going and it's true.

(my story)

It's been a bad day. I stoop out from our office, go downstairs,move long distances just to enjoy one single puff of a cigarette, fumes all over...My eyes gazed on something and mind puzzling. I've been doing this for almost 3 months now, puffing a cigarrete alone, as in alone. Why should anyone not to smoke in the office?(laugh out loud) My opinion was that the impact on the smoker of not being able to smoke at work will depend on many reasons, including:

* the interest the smoker feels in the work,
* whether or not the smoker feels valued and respected,
* the amount of stress or pressure associated with the work,
* the smoker's desire to fit into the culture of the workplace, and so forth.


well at home I have my first while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil after staggering out of bed. I have my second while drinking my 3n1 coffe and surveying the day - about 10 minutes later - and I can usually squeeze in another in between my shower, making lunches etc., about 30 minutes after that. It's a sort of shit right? I liked it because:

-I crave the taste of cigarettes.
-If I want to relax, I light up.
-If I run into a problem cigarettes help me to think clearer.
-I smoke a cigarette after a meal.
-I smoke a cigarette after I wake up.
-I smoke a cigarette after completing something (as a reward).
-I smoke while I'm with my friends.
-And the list goes on and OH my!


So what sort of day does the smoker actually have? They spend most of their time feeling stressed and anxious. The smoker is stressed about smoking: when they would be able to smoke, when they could fit it in. They are stressed because they are not smoking in relaxed conditions. The smoker is anxious when the nicotine levels are low and there is no opportunity to smoke. The smoker is stressed about the increasing pressure to stop smoking and stressed by their coughing and shortness of breath.

The smoker is also feeling resentful and fearful because of the pressures, the amount of money smoking costs and the fear of what smoking might be doing to them. If you are a smoker it is time to get help to quit and leave the controlling habit behind. Get a life that does not revolve around your next cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment